Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: User Content
Timeth's Recipe Book (Now featuring Ramps, Inspired by the Forest!') << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  [1] 2 3 ... 22 23 24
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Timeth Quet
Tue Jan 13 2009, 11:05PM

Steam Alias: Timeth Quet
Class: Your mother
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

As some of you may know, I aspire to become a chef when I grow up. As I near the mid-point of my junior year in high school, I'm trying to take this whole cooking thing a bit more seriously, and as such will be cooking a meal for my family (If possible, 3-courses) every sunday. Along with this I will also be cooking smaller things on the side throughout the week. Where my fellow BONG mates come into play is here in this thread where I will post the pictures of these meals and I would like for you to tell me what you think of the menus, your suggestions on other good ingredients, my presentation, even other ideas on things I could cook, and any other comments you feel will be valuable towards me and my learning.

Now, I know pictures are a poor excuse for food, but it's better than nothing, and I figure maybe my pictures and descriptions of the food will aspire some of you to go out and try some of the things I'm cooking for yourselves. With that I'll move into the descriptions of this weeks meal!

Pork Shoulder with Citrus Adobo (And adobo is an herb rub. In this case I used aregano, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, orange juice) which I then slow cooked under low heat (300 F) for several hours until it was cooked to the point of falling apart at the slightest touch.

Grilled plantains (Close cousin of the banana, albeit much more starchy and eaten as a vegitable) with cinnamon and brown sugar. I have never had plantains before, and this was my first experience working with them so I'm not exactly sure how they were supposed to come out. In my opinion, I thought it was much to dry (although great, rich flavor) Perhaps this is just how plantains are, or I just didn't do a good job picking ripe ones.

My third course was supposed to be Pigeon Pea wild rice. Unfortuantely there were no pigeon peas in any store in the Seattle area and I had to substitute in another type of pea. I quickly learned with "explosive" results that the recipe should not be tampered in that way.

For Desert (Not technially part of the Sunday meal, but was made Saturday night) was lemon Bluberry Cheesecake bars. My family has always been notorious for our cheesecake, but has never branched out from the classic new york style. I decided to change things up a bit and went with this recipe. The lemon gave a great taste to to it all, and the blueberries were not a direct part of the flavor, but instead gave a fresh, sweet afterbite. They also greatly accompanied the texture.

Now for the pictures! (Keep in mind I am still working on my presentation and photo taking skills, so my apologies if the food doesn't look quite as appetizing as I'd like. It's all a work in progress!)

[ Edited Fri Apr 26 2013, 06:22PM ]
Helix
Tue Jan 13 2009, 11:20PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] Helix
Class: Soldier
Liked 55 times in 29 posts

brb, grabbing some food now...

haha but really man, great work. looks delicious.

__pimpalio__
Tue Jan 13 2009, 11:29PM

Steam Alias: Pimpalio
Class: Soldier
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I want more of the cheesecake. Like, not kidding

Timeth Quet
Tue Jan 13 2009, 11:33PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I'm going to try and make another batch this weekend

Gonorrhea
Tue Jan 13 2009, 11:41PM

Steam Alias:
Class:
Liked times in posts

Sounds/looks good man. Which culinary school do you plan on going too?

Timeth Quet
Tue Jan 13 2009, 11:43PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Uhm, well I was thinking South Seattle Community College for my first two years. It's ranked in the top 5 best culinary schools in the country, and that way it's an inexpensive, easy way of getting my bullshit credits out of the way.

From there I was looking into maybe Boise state? I hear they have a great culinary school.

Haxus
Wed Jan 14 2009, 08:07AM

Steam Alias: 76561197979240110
Class: Sniper
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

[ Edited Sun Jun 05 2016, 01:00PM ]
Haxus
Wed Jan 14 2009, 08:10AM

Steam Alias: 76561197979240110
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

[ Edited Sun Jun 05 2016, 01:00PM ]
The_Professor
Wed Jan 14 2009, 09:32AM

Steam Alias: The_Professor
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

wow great stuff! I thouroughly enjoyed this thread, hope to keep it going! I also make some bad ass food from when I was Timeths age I worked at a beautiful 5 star italian ristorante, the recipes and cooking techniques I learned from there have only gotten better with more experience.

Great work Timeth / Haxus, who else here are the Top Chefs?
Lets share recipes like broads!!!

khamir-ubitch
Wed Jan 14 2009, 10:34AM

Steam Alias: [BonG] Dr. KhAmiR M.D.
Class: Medic
Liked 253 times in 114 posts

Christ, that looks good. I have always been a "meat and potatoes" kinda guy until lately.

My girl and I always try to hit up restaurants for new food whenever we can. She loves to cook all sorts of stuff new. It's one of the things we like to do.

Here is some of the food I've tried/made lately:

Korean Food (forgot name of dish):

Indian Food (again, forgot name):

"Caldo De Mariscos" (seafood soup, mexican):

Some "Ropa Vieja + Mexican rice" my girl made:

Stuffed peppers (rice, beans, ground beef & spices):

Timeth: Keep the pics coming, they're great!! We're ALWAYS lookin' for new recipes. It's nice to not to have to eat the same thing over and over. How long you been cooking? The only thing I can cook decently is BBQ. It was a staple growing up. I can honestly say I can't remember many weeks that went by that we didn't bbq. My pops was a HUGE bbq'er.

Go to page  [1] 2 3 ... 22 23 24  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0950 sec, 0.0186 of that for queries. DB queries: 70. Memory Usage: 2,658kB