Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: User Content
Timeth's Recipe Book (Now featuring Ramps, Inspired by the Forest!') << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 2 3 ... 22 [23] 24
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Timeth Quet
Mon Jan 21 2013, 09:09PM

Steam Alias: Timeth Quet
Class: Your mother
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Shrimp n' Grits - Pressure cooked, Tasso Ham, Red Eye Gravy

I recently purchased a pressure cooker and have been having a blast with it. It does pretty much anything, but better. Beautiful veal stock in an hour and a half, caramelized onions in 45 minutes, beans in 15, and as featured in this recipe, grits in just 20 minutes.

My father works for Boeing who has a plant out in Charelston, SC. Once every couple or years he gets a chance to go on a business trip there and always raves about the Shrimp and Grits they have there. Wanting to do some father-son bonding with him, we decided to give it a spin using my culinary knowledge and his nostalgia for the dish.

Firstly I made a crustacean stock in the pressure cooker based off of whole shrimp still in their shells, some fennel, leek, carrot, onion, white wine, tomato paste and saffron. The grits are then directly cooked in this stock in the pressure cooker as well.

The Red eye gravy is made from rendering the fat from tasso ham, making a roux and thickening brown chicken stock, maple syrup, whole coffee beans and star anise. The resulting gravy is luxurious, and smokey with a hint of winter spice.

The shrimp are then simply sauteed with a bit of oil, lemon juice and shallot.

Timeth Quet
Thu Mar 14 2013, 11:33PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Ikura - Cured salmon roe, apple-miso sorbet, marinated black radish

I've been in a bit of an asian kick lately. Not necessarily the techniques, but more the texture and overall philosophy behind their flavors. There's a love for texture that western food lacks, and a love for funk and challenging flavor combinations, something I'm very fond of.

Here we have Ikura, or salmon roe that I've cured for 8 hours in soy sauce and sake. This is paired with an apple-miso sorbet. Because miso is fermented bean curd, it has this incredibly deep and complex saltiness and earthiness to it that plays well with the sweetness of the apple. This is definitely a savory sorbet, however. The sorbet was quickly made with the dry ice technique and finished with a few grams of ice cream stabilizer to allow me to keep it at room temperature without it melting instantly.

To finish, some black radish that's been marinated in fresh apple juice, rice vinegar and mirin and baby mustard greens.

Yahoozy
Thu Mar 14 2013, 11:46PM

Steam Alias: POLICEFIGHTER
Class: Sniper
Liked 19 times in 7 posts

FANCY DOESN'T EQUAL BETTER DINGUS

Timeth Quet
Thu Mar 14 2013, 11:48PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I'll be sure to do a peanut butter sundae next time

DrakeMegrim
Fri Mar 15 2013, 08:24AM

Steam Alias: WD!!! Drake
Class: Demoman
Liked 113 times in 74 posts

The meals look nice but lack a substantial amount of calories.

AntiHick
Fri Mar 15 2013, 03:22PM

Steam Alias: TheAntiHick
Class: Soldier
Liked 3 times in 1 posts

The things he posts are typically meant to be 1 course out of many...

sudo kill -9
Fri Mar 15 2013, 03:55PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] sudo kill -9
Liked 13 times in 4 posts

looks fucking gross to me

AntiHick
Fri Mar 15 2013, 04:21PM

Steam Alias: TheAntiHick
Class: Soldier
Liked 3 times in 1 posts

sudo kill -9 wrote ...

Need it deep fried with ranch dressing you fat asshole?

Timeth Quet
Fri Mar 15 2013, 04:44PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Fine-dining chefs and restaurants around the world weep knowing that we won't have your patronage and refined pallet gracing our dining rooms, Sudo.

[ Edited Fri Mar 15 2013, 04:51PM ]
sudo kill -9
Fri Mar 15 2013, 05:06PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] sudo kill -9
Liked 13 times in 4 posts

Timeth Quet wrote ...

Fine-dining chefs and restaurants around the world weep knowing that we won't have your patronage and refined pallet gracing our dining rooms, Sudo.

I'll still go I guess. The fanciest place I ever "ated" at was ramsays place and a place called tao. I'm just kidding, I like most of your stuff, just not the deserts .

AntiHick wrote ...

sudo kill -9 wrote ...

Need it deep fried with ranch dressing you fat asshole?

Minus the deep fried - yes.

Go to page  1 2 3 ... 22 [23] 24  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.1312 sec, 0.0234 of that for queries. DB queries: 69. Memory Usage: 2,676kB