Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: User Content
Timeth's Recipe Book (Now featuring Ramps, Inspired by the Forest!') << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 2 3 ... 22 23 [24]
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Timeth Quet
Fri Mar 15 2013, 06:26PM

Steam Alias: Timeth Quet
Class: Your mother
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

It's not a dessert. It's a savory sorbet.

DrakeMegrim
Fri Mar 15 2013, 07:23PM

Steam Alias: WD!!! Drake
Class: Demoman
Liked 113 times in 74 posts

I'm sorry. Super supportive, you're the best!

Timeth Quet
Sun Apr 07 2013, 10:38PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Veganism. A word that strikes fear, anger and loathing into the hearts of chefs and food lovers the world around. It was always a strict rule of mine to never date one, but unfortunately I've found myself in the dreadful situation of just that. But despite how repulsive the thought of a life time without dairy, eggs or honey is, I have great enjoyed the creative challenge it has posed for me. Instead of creating 'vegan' food, I've decided to look at it from the perspective of food that *happens* to be vegan. But the same thought process that goes into any other dish I make is the same-- it must be delicious, unique and beautiful.

I recently did a small 5-course for a few friends based around vegan cuisine.

1. PB&J - Pickled grape tempura with a roasted banana and peanutbutter puree.

2. Cauliflower - Bechamel, Pear, Swiss Chard, Walnut

3. Leeks - Roasted hearts, artichoke emulsion, carrot and caraway, parsley pudding, garlic scapes

4. Bubblegum - Elixir, Pink Peppercorn, Tonic

5. An Interpretation of Spring - Strawberry, Sugar Pea, Elderflower 'custard', Kashew yogurt parfait, Wild Flowers

[ Edited Sun Apr 07 2013, 10:41PM ]
DeKeeg
Mon Apr 08 2013, 08:19AM

Steam Alias: DeKeeg
Class: Soldier
Liked 12 times in 7 posts

I've read this whole thread and I must say you have come a long way since the first post. Congratz on your journey to achieve what you have set out to do.

Now that spring is here, the morels will soon be popping. I love to hunt them, cook them, and best of all eat them. The way I have learned to cook them is pretty much how everyone makes them (around here). Dip them in egg or water, roll around in seasoned flour, and cook in butter or oil.
My question to you, have you ever worked with them? If so, how did you do it? I'm interested in trying a different variation on these. Thanks.

Timeth Quet
Mon Apr 08 2013, 05:45PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Thank you! That means a lot. It's been an exciting (And more times than not exhausting and demoralizing) journey that I've enjoyed taking. Even more exciting is that it will never really end so long as I keep at it.

Where exactly are you from? I've never seen them prepared that way up here in Seattle, but we rarely fry food, especially vegetables because it upsets the hippies. That does sound wonderful, though. I imagine it helps greatly in creating a meatiness to the texture of the mushroom.

My favorite way to prepare them is either a deep saute with a good amount of aromatics and butter, but other favorites are creaming them out and even going with the theme of 'burn morels' (Morels traditionally grow best in areas that have recently experienced forest fires) and using various smokey or charred flavors, whether through grilling, using a smoke gun or infusing smoke into a butter that you cook them in.

Timeth Quet
Fri Apr 26 2013, 06:21PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Ramps, Inspired by the Forest - Brined and pickled, dirt, chamomile cream, smoked morel

I've always loved the idea of finding inspiration through mediums other than just the ingredients I work with. Of course, it's a beautiful August day and I have some perfect heirloom tomatoes that are begging to be played with, I'll base a dish off that, but more times than not I work in the exact opposite direction, as seen here. I went hiking with some friends, was amazed by just how many of the plants and things crawling on the forest floor were not only edible, but incredible recognizable to me. From there I found seasonal ingredients that helped back up a dish showcasing just that-- the forest floor.

The backbone of the dish is the ramps; wild leeks/garlic. They only have a micro season of about 3 weeks and run around $30 a pound... luckily they grow like weeds near my home. Very mild astringency that you would expect from garlic, but the sweetness of an onion. The bulbs are wonderful praised or pickled, bu the leafy greens... man let me tell you... THOSE are where the good stuff is. Deeply pungent, luscious texture and incredibly nutritious. Here I've brined some wholes ramps in a salted solution for half an hour, just to season all throughout and bring out some of its natural flavors a bit more. The rest have been pickled and slow cooked at 85 C. for about an hour to help impregnate the flavors of the vinegars I was working with.

The dirt is made from a base of toasted malt flour, small amounts of coffee ground and cocoa and finished with some pressure-cooked black butter. These flavors help support the next component of the dish, the burn morels. Morels typically grow best in soil that has recently seen fire, and using this I wanted to give them a robust smokiness by doing a quick smoke with hickory chips.

Finally, a chamomile cream-- cream steeped with A LOT of chamomile flowers, mixed with a basic aoli and quickly aerated in a whipping canister.

The final dish is garnished with a large variety of wild greens-- sorrel, miners lettuce, red water cress, mustard greens.

Timeth Quet
Fri Apr 26 2013, 06:25PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

DeKeeg
Fri Apr 26 2013, 06:37PM

Steam Alias: DeKeeg
Class: Soldier
Liked 12 times in 7 posts

ZOMFG ! That needs to be in my mouth! Looks delicious.
Ps just saw your response from a lonv time ago. When I get to my pc ill up a pic of what ive found so far thisbyear.

Yahoozy
Fri Apr 26 2013, 07:04PM

Steam Alias: POLICEFIGHTER
Class: Sniper
Liked 19 times in 7 posts

Very cool.

Mackerel
Wed Sep 18 2013, 06:33PM

Steam Alias: What, you wanna be my gf or something?
Class: Engineer
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Take 2 lemons and squeeze until juiced. Put jalapenos in while stirring frequently. Do not cook.

Bacon. Cook it. Save Grease.

Put diced onions and jalapenos into bacon grease. Stir frequently. Cook it until satisfied. Take out and put aside. (Separate or keep bacon grease to your liking. Separate with a strainer.)

Start cooking chili.

Cut french loaf in half. Dig a small trench in both halves of bread.

Take out jalapenos from lemon juice. Apply lemon juice to both loafs evenly.

Place bacon cooked onions & jalapenos, then the bacon, afterwards the chili and lemon soaked jalapenos, then coat with cheese as to your liking.

Make sure you cover most of the chili otherwise that shit's going to be falling everywhere.
Add paprika.

Place on foil and heat in oven for 5-7 minutes on 350 F.
Don't forget to preheat.

Take the greasy pig out and add some parsley flakes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uba61qo9kcw1i7q/2013-09-18%2016.20.30.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06ossw7urtcdadh/2013-09-18%2016.36.42.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t4mfzgjrr3vdoj/2013-09-18%2016.36.53.jpg

Edit: Lighting is everything.

[ Edited Wed Sep 18 2013, 10:45PM ]
Go to page  1 2 3 ... 22 23 [24]  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.1204 sec, 0.0324 of that for queries. DB queries: 69. Memory Usage: 2,675kB