Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Servers :: Ideas & Suggestions
Item Adjustments << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
DrakeMegrim
Fri Nov 23 2012, 06:02PM

Steam Alias: WD!!! Drake
Class: Demoman
Liked 113 times in 74 posts

I'd like to hear back from our community on some item adjustments I'd like to make. Certain items or set bonuses just make this game unplayable for me and really just makes me not want to play on the server.

The first item is the Red Tape Recorder. If you don't immediately two hit your sentry it goes to level 1. This is obscene in comparison to the normal sapper and makes me, and quite a few other players, just want to quit playing engie. It's hard enough to get someone to play engie on a team but if they're forced to babysit the sentry I don't think many will stay that class for long.

A set bonus that has to go is the piss set. I like the way that hat looks but I'm just tired of dealing with troll sniper + medic combos. It frustrates everyone involved except the combo themselves. I don't know what else could be said about it.

Another item that is really annoying to me is the DR. I don't want it removed but maybe tuned (seen this done in other servers). I propose to take away or severely reduce the damage reduction it gets while cloaked. Combined this with the spy cicle it's just all harassment and frustration.

This isn't set in stone to happen. I just want to get a feel for how the community would react if these things were put in place. Let the discussion commence!

[ Edited Fri Nov 23 2012, 06:07PM ]
BlackOut
Fri Nov 23 2012, 07:03PM

Steam Alias: BlackOut
Class: Heavy
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

all of that sounds good to me.

ProfessorJerk
Fri Nov 23 2012, 08:56PM

Steam Alias: Same as here (usually)
Class: Pyro
Liked 21 times in 5 posts

Set bonuses across the board. Valve has pretty much stated that adding them was a mistake, and the fact that they haven't tried adding new ones is a testament to the fact that they were serious.

As far as individual items, I'm honestly against getting rid of anything, as much as I hate some of them (specifically the ones you mentioned). They're part of the game whether they're annoying or not, and if we ban A, B and C, then people are gonna start crying about how X, Y and Z are just as bad and they should be banned as well. Just my take on it.

DeKeeg
Fri Nov 23 2012, 09:09PM

Steam Alias: DeKeeg
Class: Soldier
Liked 12 times in 7 posts

I dislike cheap gimmicky weapons (originated with the FaN), but I've learned to deal with them because they are part of the game (atleast that's what I tell myself over and over). I have to be honest though, when Hick posted a few days ago that the server was completely vanilla while being fixed, I got a semi.

The only thing I'd hate to see is people getting turned off by implied settings and the community becoming stagnant. You guys have a really good thing going for you. Very skilled and knowledgable staff, a solid core group of regulars, and a seemingly endless supply of randoms. /2ยข

DrakeMegrim
Fri Nov 23 2012, 09:22PM

Steam Alias: WD!!! Drake
Class: Demoman
Liked 113 times in 74 posts

Something to point out that a lot of pub severs that attract high level players have a lot of tuned items (look at Star's server). I don't think disallowing these items will affect good players from returning.

The biggest items that I want gone is the new sapper. It's gotten to a point where I'll just leave the server and I know this happens with other regs as well.

It's a slippery slope with item banning but this is why I put it up here for review by the community. If there's enough support to get rid of an item then why not? If we hold this rigorous process for getting rid of items then I don't think it's going to get out of hand. We've dealt with people crying about countless topics; what's one more?

Grahamula
Fri Nov 23 2012, 10:16PM

Steam Alias: [Bong] Grahamula
Liked 4 times in 3 posts

I fully support removal of the piss sniper set bonus, as I'm sure >90% of the community would. You don't "balance skill level" for a shooting game. If we wanted balanced skill levels we would play connect 4 or join the communist party.

Red tape recorder is incredibly overpowered in 2fort. I've seen it damage the server population several times. All it takes is a handful of base-roaming offensive classes and one RTR spy to shut down any hope of a normal, balanced defense that you find in fun, healthy team compositions. The victim team has to go full turtle to stop it, and before you know it people are disconnecting and complaining about how all our server does is camp.

The DR may be annoying as fuck sometimes, but I don't consider it a fundamentally flawed item like the others. However, your proposition on it would make sense as it would reduce the trolltastic nature of many of its more incompetent users.

Mama
Fri Nov 23 2012, 10:23PM

Steam Alias: Mama
Class: Pyro
Liked 38 times in 25 posts

Speaking as a Piss-set sniper... I see why others find it so annoying, but if we take it away, I'll never snipe again. (big loss, right?) I also find the red-tape recorder annoying as fuck, and if I don't have help on defense, I'll leave engie if a spy is using it. I'm better defense as a pyro anyway, I think.

Dickbut
Fri Nov 23 2012, 10:34PM

Steam Alias: Galot
Class: Spy
Liked 116 times in 46 posts

Biggest problem items in my opinion,

Soda Popper: Rewards bad Scouts with a massive damage boost just for running. ???

Liberty Launcher: Massive crutch; baby's first rocket launcher.

Righteous Bison: Annoying as the old pomson was. Massive hitbox, punishes medics for taking cover behind their heal target, and critical shots look no different from regular shots.

Reserve Shooter: It's fine on Soldier, but I regret wanting Valve to allow the Pyro to use this.

Chargin' Targe/Splendid Screen: Anyone that uses this is going to use the short-charge melee crit glitch whether they realise it or not. Worse than Degreaser+Axtinguisher combo.

Pomson: Should be a bannable offense.

Machina: Baby's first sniper rifle.

Spy-cicle/Dead Ringer: These aren't that bad on their own, but when combined they are incredibly broken. Bad spies can abuse these to escape most encounters where they should have died for being obvious.

Red Tape Recorder: Should be a bannable offense.

Grahamula
Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:09PM

Steam Alias: [Bong] Grahamula
Liked 4 times in 3 posts

Dickbut wrote ...

Congrats to everyone who voted "CHEAT GUNS" in http://www.gravitybong.net/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?55878

malonda82
Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:23PM

Steam Alias: Natascha
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

DrakeMegrim wrote ...

Certain items or set bonuses just make this game unplayable for me and really just makes me not want to play on the server.

I'm on board with those, some of those drive my a little bonkers from time to time as well.

Grahamula wrote ...

Dickbut wrote ...

Congrats to everyone who voted "CHEAT GUNS" in http://www.gravitybong.net/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?55878

Awesome

Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0901 sec, 0.0163 of that for queries. DB queries: 72. Memory Usage: 2,673kB