Forums

Go to page  [1] 2 3
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Stompbox
Thu Dec 20 2012, 10:19AM

Steam Alias: Stompbox
Class: Pyro
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Let's discuss alltalk on the server.

I like alltalk when there are a dozen or so of us, but once the server hits 15+ players, it becomes a nightmare. Three or more people constantly talking over one another and it becomes totally useless for team communication. The last few nights have been especially bad...

I don't know much about server-side settings, but is there any way we could have the server automatically de-activate alltalk when there are 15+, 18+, 20+ people connected?

Thoughts?

Keke
Thu Dec 20 2012, 10:25AM

Steam Alias: [G^U] Keke
Class: Scout
Liked 1 times in 1 posts

I like alltalk on when we're just goofing around myself. But when it's serious fort time, I prefer going to just teams.

AntiHick
Thu Dec 20 2012, 10:37AM

Steam Alias: TheAntiHick
Class: Soldier
Liked 3 times in 1 posts

You're trying to fight a battle that even I can't win most times.

Blast_Tyrant
Thu Dec 20 2012, 10:43AM

Steam Alias: Blast Tyrant
Class: Heavy
Liked 30 times in 21 posts

I don't disagree with you Stompbox. I communicate almost exclusively through voice, and it makes it hard with a full server. But I like it when the game is more messing around than serious play, and it is fun to talk with the opposing team.

Skyhawk
Thu Dec 20 2012, 10:59AM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Class: Medic
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

Problem is, being on a team opposite your pals is lonely

I entertain all player requests for an alltalk vote to turn it on or off but I think it should remain manually controlled. It also should not be left on with no admins on the server. I have received requests over Steam chat to turn it on in the mornings and will do what I can to accommodate. I have Steam and the HLSW console up at work all day for such requests from players.

DrakeMegrim
Thu Dec 20 2012, 12:10PM

Steam Alias: WD!!! Drake
Class: Demoman
Liked 113 times in 74 posts

Skyhawk wrote ...

Problem is, being on a team opposite your pals is lonely

It also should not be left on with no admins on the server.

Also, if it bothers you and there are admins on, chirp up. If more then one or two people chime in I'll turn it off or if there is incessant rambling.

AntiHick
Thu Dec 20 2012, 01:25PM

Liked 3 times in 1 posts

I just hate how alltalk always devolves into a scenario where one team with most of the regulars is rolling over the team that doesn't have as many, while talking so frequently/loudly that even if strategizing via voice chat was possible during all talk, they wouldn't be able to.

And what's incredibly frustrating is, this scenario is pretty much impossible to rectify with votes. Of course the entire winning team that's dominating voice chat is gonna vote yes so they can keep rolling and laughing about it--so that's 50% of the vote. So if one single person on the team getting raped misvotes or just wants it left on, the rest of the team just has to suffer with it. And then if an admin like myself makes a judgement call and turns it off anyway, we get to be the bad guy.

I usually end up just turning down voice chat volume and cranking up music when this shit's going on, but I wish I didn't have to. If the gravity bong had been an alltalk server when I first joined, I probably would have moved along to a different server.

I like it when we're all just having silly fun sometimes but I also like being able to play the game.

Korben Dallas
Thu Dec 20 2012, 02:27PM

Steam Alias: Korben Dallas
Liked 40 times in 13 posts

I enjoy the casual all talk from time to time, its quite funny specially when you got friends in the opposite team, but its very annoying when you are actually breaking the #1 rule of TF2 (try to work has a team) Most of the time you can't share quick info with an engie trying to wack a spy or warm a scout about some stickies or sentries...

So to fool around its ok, but to try to play as a team is 100% counterproductive.

It wold be great to have: Press "V" to all talk and press "C" team talk.

DrakeMegrim
Thu Dec 20 2012, 02:33PM

Steam Alias: WD!!! Drake
Class: Demoman
Liked 113 times in 74 posts

I play with voice_enable 0 a lot when it's too chatty.

AntiHick
Thu Dec 20 2012, 02:38PM

Liked 3 times in 1 posts

I've had problems with re-enabling voice mid-match so I just use the lil voice receive volume slider...

Go to page  [1] 2 3  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.1401 sec, 0.0243 of that for queries. DB queries: 71. Memory Usage: 2,651kB