Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: Entertainment
What should I read? << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 2 [3] 4
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Grahamula
Thu Feb 14 2013, 06:11PM

Steam Alias: [Bong] Grahamula
Class: Heavy
Liked 4 times in 3 posts

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez, if you're willing to read a comic.

Dr_Spaceman
Wed Oct 09 2013, 12:05AM

Steam Alias: Dr. Spaceman
Class: Spy
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Have you read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller? It's probably my favorite novel I've ever read and its where catch 22 logic was coined from. I can elaborate more if you're interested.

lexicalpedant
Wed Oct 09 2013, 10:43PM

Steam Alias: lexicalpedant
Class: Demoman
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I have, Spuhcheman! It's been a decade though, so I might add that to my reread list.

To plug another great one, I recently found Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. This is a huge divergence from my normal reading, as it's the first fanfic I've ever read, but it packs a hell of a punch. It's written by Eliezer Yudkowsky, a somewhat prominent decision theory expert and artificial intelligence advocate.

The premise is a parallel-universe type Harry Potter story. In this universe, Harry is a prodigy genius who was weaned on Feynman and Quantum Theory. All the magic is still there, he just uses science and logic to break it and make everything way more interesting. Highly recommend if you ever enjoyed the original Harry Potter books and also love scientific method/modern philosophy.

mrnarhwal
Wed Oct 09 2013, 11:56PM

Steam Alias: Mr. Narwhal
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. It's what the HBO show Game of Thrones is based off of. Super fucking good reads

knife_out
Thu Oct 10 2013, 03:30AM

Steam Alias: [BONG] Knife_Out (Chillin') -J-
Class: Sniper
Liked 51 times in 19 posts

If you are into mythology, mainly Greek, Roman, and Egyptian Gods, then I would suggest Rick Riordan. They have kept me coming back to them time and time again.

Mama
Thu Oct 10 2013, 07:05AM

Steam Alias: Mama
Class: Pyro
Liked 38 times in 25 posts

mrnarhwal wrote ...

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. It's what the HBO show Game of Thrones is based off of. Super fucking good reads

Books are way better than the show, imo.

Also, read Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series. 15 books of magic, trolls, and the battle between good and evil.

lexicalpedant
Mon Oct 14 2013, 02:56PM

Steam Alias: lexicalpedant
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Mama wrote ...

mrnarhwal wrote ...

Books are way better than the show, imo.

Also, read Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series. 15 books of magic, trolls, and the battle between good and evil.

Yeah, I started the first SoIaF book sometime in high school, lost the book halfway through, totally forgot about it for 8 years, then blew through them all right before the second season started. Watching the show was giving me deja vu, I had completely forgotten that I'd started to read them!

Here's to hoping the next one comes out before 2020, or that GRRM doesn't have a heart attack first.

BiGTeX
Sun Mar 02 2014, 05:23AM

Steam Alias: bigtex1313
Class: Scout
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Whats a book?

frostmute
Sun Mar 02 2014, 08:55AM

Steam Alias: frostmute
Class: Medic
Liked 11 times in 6 posts

Mama wrote ...

I tried once to read the first WOT book, and couldn't make it all the way through. I got REALLLLLY bored, which is strange because the subject matter is right up my alley.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime...

AntiHick
Sun Mar 02 2014, 10:05AM

Steam Alias: TheAntiHick
Class: Soldier
Liked 3 times in 1 posts

BiGTeX wrote ...

Whats a book?

I know this is a joke, but it's a joke I see/hear in pretty much any book discussion ever and it's one of those things that make me say "Oh. Well, this guy is a retard." It's like a fat person trying to look cool because they're fat.

Go to page  1 2 [3] 4  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.1132 sec, 0.0170 of that for queries. DB queries: 73. Memory Usage: 2,685kB