Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: Entertainment
What should I read? << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 2 3 [4]
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
frostmute
Sun Mar 02 2014, 10:25AM

Steam Alias: frostmute
Class: Medic
Liked 11 times in 6 posts

gonzo.the.great
Sun Mar 02 2014, 03:21PM

Steam Alias: STEAM_0:0:7227352
Class: Demoman
Liked 61 times in 26 posts

frostmute wrote ...

Mama wrote ...

Also, read Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series. 15 books of magic, trolls, and the battle between good and evil.

I tried once to read the first WOT book, and couldn't make it all the way through. I got REALLLLLY bored, which is strange because the subject matter is right up my alley.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime...

Just read to book 4 or 5. Then stop. I tried to go farther and got more and more pissed off that the story had fractured so badly. I ended up just reading a wiki so I could see how it all ended.

gonzo.the.great
Sun Mar 02 2014, 03:36PM

My current recommend list:

Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
The stars disappear one day, and all we can figure out is that the earth has been enclosed by something.

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
Wonderful take on what would happen if electronics stopped working. Beautifully written.

The City and the City - China MiƩville
Two cities occupying the exact same space, but slightly out of phase from each other.

Wool - Hugh Howey
Read this, now.

A Canticle For Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller
Old but wonderful post-apocalyptic book. Follows a group of monks trying to keep whatever is left of humanities knowledge alive following WW3. Some great black humor.

Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller - Patrick Rothfuss
I really liked this one and the following, well written, but goddammit he writes slow. A magic world with a twist.

Snowcrash - Neal Stephenson
Ya, how it all began. A must read.

[ Edited Sun Mar 02 2014, 03:37PM ]
lexicalpedant
Sun Mar 02 2014, 04:54PM

Steam Alias: lexicalpedant
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Wool was excellent, and Name of the Wind was one of the most fun to read fantasy books I've ever read. The timing and scope just works so well in that story.

Also check out Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, and Diamond age is a prequel or sequel type set in a similar world to Snow Crash and was good.

I didn't like Stephenson's quicksilver trilogy, but he has a few more than are on my to read list.

gonzo.the.great
Sun Mar 02 2014, 05:30PM

lexicalpedant wrote ...

Wool was excellent, and Name of the Wind was one of the most fun to read fantasy books I've ever read. The timing and scope just works so well in that story.

Also check out Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, and Diamond age is a prequel or sequel type set in a similar world to Snow Crash and was good.

I didn't like Stephenson's quicksilver trilogy, but he has a few more than are on my to read list.

I don't even walk to talk about how many times I've re-read Cryptonomicon, Diamond Age & Snowcrash. It's bad.

I couldn't get into Quicksilver. The writing style that I loved was still there but he really got wordy. I almost thing him being semi-unknown helped force him to cut down on Snowcrash & Diamond Age, and to a lesser extent, Cryptonomicon.

Also, if you haven't yet, you should read William Gibson, father of cyberpunk. Start with the short stories & Neuromancer,

"We monitor many frequencies. We listen always. Came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. It played us a mighty dub."

and then into The Sprawl Trilogy

"In Heathrow a vast chunk of memory detached itself from a blank bowl of airport sky and fell on him. He vomited into a blue plastic canister without breaking stride. When he arrived at the counter at the end of the corridor, he changed his ticket."

gonzo.the.great
Sun Mar 02 2014, 05:38PM

And dam you, because of this, I just went out and bought Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas, Abaddon's Gate and Words of Radiance. You asshole, you are a bad influence. Also, go read The Way of Kings. I really have no idea where Brandon Sanderson gets his ideas.

BiGTeX
Sun Mar 02 2014, 06:55PM

Steam Alias: bigtex1313
Class: Scout
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

AntiHick wrote ...

BiGTeX wrote ...

Whats a book?

I know this is a joke, but it's a joke I see/hear in pretty much any book discussion ever and it's one of those things that make me say "Oh. Well, this guy is a retard." It's like a fat person trying to look cool because they're fat.

I often spell stupid as stoopid to see who will comment on it...

lexicalpedant
Mon Mar 03 2014, 11:01PM

Steam Alias: lexicalpedant
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

gonzo.the.great wrote ...

And dam you, because of this, I just went out and bought Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas, Abaddon's Gate and Words of Radiance. You asshole, you are a bad influence. Also, go read The Way of Kings. I really have no idea where Brandon Sanderson gets his ideas.

Weird, looks like we have about the same though process on those genres at least.

I've read the Sprawl trilogy by Gibson, but not the short stories, and I read Pattern Recognition ~6 moths ago and apparently missed that it was a trilogy. Going to grab Spook Country tonight.

I found Way of Kings last month and got tricked into thinking there were already 7 books out (because his wiki or whatever already had titles for each), and almost lost my shit when I realized I was through after Words of Radiance. I have so many fucking authors I'm waiting on with ~4 year release cycles, meaning I have to reread a few each time they actually put something new up.

Scalzi wrote one called Old Man's War that I read, as well as the follow up The Ghost Brigades. I lost interest after Ghost Brigades for one reason or another, but I'll add Redshirts, too.

I'll add Abaddon's gate to my list, that's a new one.

Since I feel like I can confidently say you'll enjoy it after these last couple rounds of recommendations, here's a few for you:
Nexus - Ramez Naam - Near-distant future cyber-punk themes. Deals with a group of college kids that adapt a rudimentary brain networking nano device infrastructure to run a fully programmable OS, and the crazy shit that implies. Super entertaining, one of those I didn't want to put down. He just finished the sequel, Crux, and I think there's one more to go at least. The author is a computer scientist that's known for some pretty awesome post-human focused non fiction as well, so the science parts are usually fairly realistic.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (the Gentleman Bastards series) - Scott Lynch - Awesome series about an orphan who becomes an apprenticed thief, then an apprenticed cat-burglar/insane confidence man/assassin, starting at the age of 6. Yet another one where I read the 3 that are out in less than 2 weeks.

Also, on a more esoteric note, this isn't straight sci-fi or fantasy as much as bizarre fiction, but Matt Ruff is one of my favorite current writers that strikes me in the same way Vonnegut, Tom Robbins, and their ilk do. Fool on the Hill and Bad Monkeys were the first 2 I read by him. Both very good. I have a review on Set This House In Order earlier in this thread, which was kind of a mindfuck to read, but an unparalleled experience for me.

[ Edited Mon Mar 03 2014, 11:03PM ]
spacer1337
Mon Feb 16 2015, 01:32AM

Steam Alias: spacer1337
Class: Pyro
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

hmm, I scanned this thread and don't think anyone mentioned this one... but everyone should definitely read 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline- it is wicked awesome, filled with all kind of geeky goodness.

I believe they are trying to make it into a movie, read it before then... Im sure they are going to destroy it with a movie, but I hope not.

Go to page  1 2 3 [4]  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0819 sec, 0.0140 of that for queries. DB queries: 65. Memory Usage: 2,656kB