Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: The Lounge
Official Community Recipes Thread << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
bldwilco
Wed Jul 23 2014, 04:36PM

Steam Alias: bldwilco
Class: Medic
Liked 4 times in 3 posts

One of my favorite recipes I found some time ago for "Sunday Gravy". I usually make it most during football season as it will feed a crowd.

1 lb. pork baby back ribs, cut into individual ribs
1 lb. pork neck bones
3⁄4 lb. hot Italian sausage links, cut into 2"–3" pieces
2 thin-cut lamb shoulder chops (about 1 lb.)
2 28-oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes, preferably
san marzano, with their liquid
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, left whole
2 6-oz. cans tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1⁄4 cup white wine
1 tbsp. roughly chopped basil leaves
1 tbsp. roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
1⁄8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese
1. Heat oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and arrange ribs, neck bones, sausage, and lamb chops in a single layer on top. Roast meat, turning with tongs occasionally, until deep golden brown and cooked through, about 40 minutes for the sausage and 1 hour for the ribs, bones, and lamb. Set roasted meat aside.

2. Meanwhile, run the tomatoes and their juice through a food mill twice; discard any remaining seeds or skin. Set puréed tomatoes aside.

3. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and fry, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add 3 cups water and salt and pepper to taste and stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add wine, basil, parsley, oregano, and reserved tomato purée. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes more. Partially cover pot and cook until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.

4. Transfer the roasted meat to the pot with the tomato sauce. Add red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste and simmer, partially covered, until thickened, about 30 minutes more. (The sauce will appear glossy.) Stir in 1⁄3 cup of the cheese and cook briefly, partially covered, until flavors have melded.

5. Transfer sauce to a large bowl and top with some of the cheese. (Leave the meat in the sauce, or serve it on the side.) Toss some of the sauce with Ricotta Dumplings, or cooked pasta, such as rigatoni, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

DeKeeg
Wed Jul 23 2014, 10:02PM

Steam Alias: DeKeeg
Class: Soldier
Liked 12 times in 7 posts

lexicalpedant wrote ...

DeKeeg wrote ...

khamir-ubitch wrote ...

This is the same recipe my wife used for one of the brines.

CONFIRMED DELICIOUS.

Can't wait to confirm it as well!

Got my bird in the brine at 8am today. Going to give it a 24 hour soak.

AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED!?

OMG! Never did see your response Lex, lol!

The turkey turned out great. Although, imo, I think all the "extra" spices and things weren't necessary. A simple brine would have been more than sufficient to create a juicy, tasty bird. The aromatics for the cavity are nice for giving your house that Thanksgiving Day smell too.

BLD, that recipe sounds great. I'll have to give it a go sometime.

lexicalpedant
Wed Jul 23 2014, 10:26PM

Steam Alias: lexicalpedant
Class: Demoman
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

BLD - that's a southern Italian/siciian recipe! My grandmother is 2nd generation american, and I was 20 before she trusted me with the recipe. The only difference is time, none of our sauces are done in less than 4 hours, adds a crazy bump to the taste of the meat and sauce.

Dekeeg - thanks for the update, going to try that this year!

[ Edited Wed Jul 23 2014, 10:26PM ]
bldwilco
Thu Jul 24 2014, 01:11AM

Liked 4 times in 3 posts

That's awesome man! What would you say the average cook time is for your sauce?

bldwilco
Thu Jul 24 2014, 01:16AM

Liked 4 times in 3 posts

Crap, reading through this thread makes me want turkey. Looks like it's going to be Thanksgiving in July this weekend.

Keeg, think I'm going to follow your advice and just do a simple brine and the use a dry herb de provence for seasoning after the brine.

Anyone have some good go to Thanksgiving sides?

Skyhawk
Wed Oct 15 2014, 09:14AM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

Hey Khamir...

This is the pork loin I was telling you about last night. I get the big ol' two foot long loin from SAM's Club ($2.98/lb, total about $22.00, best deal I've found) and a package of uncooked, spicy, high-fat sausage links.

1. Open the links, take a pointy knife or fork and poke holes in the sausages. Place links in freezer individually with a weight on them to get them to partially freeze as straight as possible.

2. For a long pork loin like I used, cut it in half, works best with a foot long loin. Take a long, thin, serrated knife and cut a 2 inch wide hole lengthwise down the middle of the loin.

3. Push the partially frozen sausage into the pork loin.

4. If you have a grill, heat it up and sear the outside of the loin for a few minutes. Try to cook it as little as possible, just get some grill marks on it.

5. After the grill, season the loin, wrap in foil, place on a pan, put in a 250 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Pork is fully cooked at 145 but you do have to cook the sausage in the middle so you'll want to use a meat thermometer to check it every 15 minutes. If you over cook it, it will be dry but the fat in the sausage in the middle adds flavor and juice. Besides the extra flavor, the cheap sausage adds a lot of mass to the loin.

AntiHick
Wed Oct 15 2014, 09:58AM

Steam Alias: TheAntiHick
Liked 3 times in 1 posts

I feel like I'm looking at something dirty. Also, why no pics of the stuffing process. Or maybe a slow motion gif.

Skyhawk
Wed Oct 15 2014, 10:18AM

It feels a bit dirty when you are forcing that sausage into the porkloin's butthole.

DeKeeg
Wed Oct 15 2014, 12:46PM

Steam Alias: DeKeeg
Liked 12 times in 7 posts

Pig's ass rub?! Man, you guys got all the cool grillin' stuff down yonder :/

Also, that looks really good. I've never seen anything like it in my life.

Skyhawk
Mon Aug 17 2015, 11:38AM

Cooked two briskets this weekend for the company cookoff on Monday, same recipe as my earlier post. 30 pounds of brisket after cooking.

Go to page  1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0850 sec, 0.0153 of that for queries. DB queries: 69. Memory Usage: 2,671kB