Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: Entertainment
Book Reviews << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 [2]
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
lexicalpedant
Mon Apr 22 2013, 01:14PM

Steam Alias: lexicalpedant
Class: Demoman
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

DrakeMegrim wrote ...

lexicalpedant wrote ...

ProfessorJerk wrote ...

Lex, if you've read Neuromancer and are jumping right to Gibson's later work without finishing The Sprawl Trilogy you're doing yourself a great disservice. Neuromancer might be the worst of the three, and it's one of my favorite books of all time.

Whoa, did not realize it was part of a trilogy. I'm already half through the Matt Ruff book I started yesterday, so I'll queue those up next.

The first book is by far the best. The second, Found Zero, takes a while to work up into a story and the characters aren't as memorable. Same with the last: very slow and lack of direction. If you enjoy Gibson's style of writing and the universe you'll like the book just don't expect Neuromancer.

Haha, you posted this RIGHT after I updated the thread with my review on Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. And you were about on point, they were basically the same structural style as neuromancer, with different characters/villains/hijinks following a constant format.

lexicalpedant
Mon Apr 22 2013, 01:16PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Sudo, thanks for the reminder! That's another one of those I started and never finished (think I lost it at an airport). I'm reading a new book that's kind of ender's game-ish right now (Forging Zero: Legend of Zero), but I'm going to queue that up next. I don't think I got past the first story arch.

lexicalpedant
Tue Apr 30 2013, 12:19AM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Updated with the Sara King books I just got sucked into. 1500 pages in 7 days. This chick is pretty damn good at getting you into the story. It reads like watching a badass sci-fi military adventure.

Completely coincidentally, I'm queued up for Starship Troopers next, since Heinlein's a badass and I only read a couple of his pieces. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell are next on deck, thanks to Sudo's nudge!

[ Edited Tue Apr 30 2013, 12:25AM ]
Mama
Tue Apr 30 2013, 04:07PM

Steam Alias: Mama
Class: Pyro
Liked 38 times in 25 posts

Currently reading http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memory_of_Light/index.php by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I own the entire series.

Skyhawk
Fri Sep 19 2014, 03:26PM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Class: Medic
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

I moved Lexical's post to the "important threads" because my life now empty after finishing the four books in the Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines and I am searching for something to fill the void.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/67447-ex-heroes

This series was one of the most entertaining I have picked up, a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world with a relatively new group of super-heroes trying to maintain order and protect the survivors in Los Angeles. As it is a four book series and I don't want to post spoilers, I'm not writing a review, but the series was fascinating as back stories are provided all the way through. I highly recommend.

Edit: another single from Clines is "14", good read.

[ Edited Fri Sep 19 2014, 03:28PM ]
Sir Osis
Tue Dec 16 2014, 05:30PM

Steam Alias: Sir Osis of Liver
Class: Engineer
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I finally started reading Dishwasher by Pete Jordan on my flight this past week and have hit the half way part. As a dude in his 30's without a 'real' job, I've become completely engrossed and will be picking up his other book. Incredibly casual conversational writing style with stories of getting by with the bare minimum. I've been stuck in the morass of G√ľnter Grass for the past year, this has been a breath of fresh air. Go read a book, dorks.

Yahoozy
Wed Dec 17 2014, 04:28PM

Steam Alias: POLICEFIGHTER
Class: Sniper
Liked 19 times in 7 posts

Finally got a hard copy of Asterios Polyp for my birthday and it's beautiful. Great on a coffee table, even better to pick up and read. My review is this: download CDisplay and give it a read through, then buy it in support of my favorite comic book artist (who's also an ace writer) ever.

[ Edited Wed Dec 17 2014, 04:29PM ]
Sir Osis
Wed Dec 17 2014, 06:27PM

Steam Alias: Sir Osis of Liver
Class: Engineer
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I stand with Mason on this one. I was recommended Asterios as someone who doesn't know much about graphic novels, or comics, or whatever word best describes that sort of grimcrack and enjoyed it immensely. Highly recommend.

Yahoozy
Wed Dec 17 2014, 10:36PM

Steam Alias: POLICEFIGHTER
Class: Sniper
Liked 19 times in 7 posts

You read Habibi Osis? I think I've harped about it on here before but the imagery is absolutely incredible. Craig's got a new book coming out soon that looks nice, though all I know about it is that it's in space and is for kids.

Go to page  1 [2]  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0993 sec, 0.0207 of that for queries. DB queries: 65. Memory Usage: 2,641kB