Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Servers :: Ideas & Suggestions
Animated .gif avatars << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
This thread is now closed
Author Post
Mackerel
Thu May 30 2013, 10:53PM

Steam Alias: What, you wanna be my gf or something?
Class: Engineer
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

How much trouble would it cause for avatar size limit to be increased to 1-2 megabytes and animated .gif support?

Also, another question I had was hotlinking for avatars such as using imgur or minus, and a custom size value for preference.

Helix
Thu May 30 2013, 11:13PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] Helix
Class: Soldier
Liked 55 times in 29 posts

All valid questions..

Animated .gif's are already supported if they meet max size requirements. I have no problem increasing the max size limit but as it is set now you can upload most gif avatars with appropriate resolutions with no issues.

As far as hotlinking, I'm not really sure the benefit as we have an easy to use uploader so I don't think it would be worth it.

Max pixel width and height as well could be altered but it would have to be a universal change for all and we would have to limit the size of posted images in forum posts as to not break formatting with the left user info block being wider with a bigger avatar.

Hope it makes sense-- again most of these can be done if there is general agreement and the community wants the modifications.

Mackerel
Thu May 30 2013, 11:37PM

Steam Alias: What, you wanna be my gf or something?
Class: Engineer
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Nah I don't think altering size & height is what I'm getting at.
I'm fine with it really.
All I really care about is using off site image hosting for avatars.

[ Edited Thu May 30 2013, 11:46PM ]
ProfessorJerk
Thu May 30 2013, 11:50PM

Steam Alias: Same as here (usually)
Class: Pyro
Liked 21 times in 5 posts

Mack, I don't think you paid attention to Helix's (thorough and polite) answer.

Increasing max avatar size would require reducing the max width of uploaded images. is it really worth the tradeoff? I'd rather have a better look at actual pictures than peoples' avatars.

And not for nothing, you should really try to check your attitude a bit. By no means were you owed as thorough of a response as Helix gave you and your response was kind of dripping with snark.

[ Edited Thu May 30 2013, 11:59PM ]
malonda82
Fri May 31 2013, 12:31AM

Steam Alias: Natascha
Class: Heavy
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I think this has been adequately answered. Closing thread.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0847 sec, 0.0165 of that for queries. DB queries: 48. Memory Usage: 2,510kB