Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: Tech Forum
New PC. Random 0x124 error << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  [1] 2
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Luna.Lovegood
Sat Oct 12 2013, 09:44AM

Steam Alias: BONG | Luna
Class: Demoman
Liked 1 times in 1 posts

My little brother bought parts and now we are trying to set up his computer but we are getting random 0x124 (Processor error/General HW error).
It runs fine in Linux for some reason.

This usually happens when we are trying to do any sort or action on the computer (adding a network, downloading content etc), but not when running system checks.

Been eliminating all HW except the motherboard, but I cant gather what would be wrong with that.
Just tried eliminating RAM again as well as suggested by frostmute.

Done Memory check, clean.
Done HDD check, clean.

Anyone got additional tips on what can be done?

Specs:

Halvus
Sat Oct 12 2013, 01:30PM

Steam Alias: [SBV]Halvus
Class: Pyro
Liked 28 times in 17 posts

Some light googling of "asus z87 bluescreen" got me this. Not much but somewhere to start.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=SABERTOOTH%20Z87&s=45&hashedid=gD1HelDX8lh3WSpG&os=&no=931

Halvus
Sat Oct 12 2013, 01:31PM

Steam Alias: [SBV]Halvus
Class: Pyro
Liked 28 times in 17 posts

Also, z87 is a 'new' chipset/platform so you have to expect bugs. Did you try updating the BIOS?

[ Edited Sat Oct 12 2013, 01:33PM ]
Luna.Lovegood
Sat Oct 12 2013, 02:16PM

Liked 1 times in 1 posts

I did update the newest BIOS.

Will try that troubleshoot after as well. Done tests for like 3 hours now.... About to kick it in the nu... eh, throw it out the window

frostmute
Sat Oct 12 2013, 08:53PM

Steam Alias: frostmute
Class: Medic
Liked 11 times in 6 posts

If you can.... just for shits..... throw a completely different set of RAM sticks in there and see what happens.

8bitlove2a03
Sun Oct 13 2013, 05:37AM

Steam Alias: timesickGallivanter
Class: Scout
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

If it runs fine in Linux, it could be a driver issue instead of the hardware itself. Might try reinstalling windows, disabling the automatic driver installer (whatever windows calls it, found new hardware wizard or some crap) and running it with no internet connection for a while (so it can't download any updates). If it stops giving you bsods, then that'd confirm it to be a driver/os issue as opposed to a hardware issue.

Luna.Lovegood
Sun Oct 13 2013, 08:43AM

Liked 1 times in 1 posts

Eliminated current RAM sticks and replaced them with mine, nothing changed :/

Reinstalled and it didnt change anything.

Usually 0x124 is a memory/cpu issue, so I am starting to think that when my brothers friends put this shit together, they have damaged something on the motherboard/cpu.

Should also add that it ran for like 1 h straight (didnt care to wait anymore then *impatient*) without any issue, then I tried to download Steam on it and it BSODed.
But when I downloaded SF Diagnostic Tool it ran just fine and allowed me to install it, for me to get the kernalfiles, zip them, mail them to myself and it even run fine after..
It's so extremely random when its BSODs as it can be right after startup or when doing something.

[ Edited Sun Oct 13 2013, 08:47AM ]
gonzo.the.great
Sun Oct 13 2013, 09:58AM

Steam Alias: STEAM_0:0:7227352
Liked 60 times in 25 posts

Have you tried running it in safemode for a few hours to see if you can get it to blue? That would at least eliminate a bunch of driver and other random crap that runs.

At this point, I'd see if I could warranty the MB first, and then the power supply, then the cpu. I'm betting it's power related, but it's hard to tell whether the MB or the power supply.

frostmute
Sun Oct 13 2013, 01:28PM

Steam Alias: frostmute
Class: Medic
Liked 11 times in 6 posts

gonzo.the.great wrote ...

Have you tried running it in safemode for a few hours to see if you can get it to blue? That would at least eliminate a bunch of driver and other random crap that runs.

At this point, I'd see if I could warranty the MB first, and then the power supply, then the cpu. I'm betting it's power related, but it's hard to tell whether the MB or the power supply.

Yup. If it does it with new RAM, what gonzo said here would be next.

Luna.Lovegood
Sun Oct 13 2013, 02:07PM

Liked 1 times in 1 posts

Safemode is totally safe and it doesnt seem to have any issues at all.

I believe all components have warranty, thing is. it will take so long to send back one and one component and my brother is going to a LAN party to play a comp, so he needs it done within 2 weeks..
Fucking electronics!

Go to page  [1] 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0841 sec, 0.0161 of that for queries. DB queries: 69. Memory Usage: 2,635kB