Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: Tech Forum
Setting up a server << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Noog
Sat Oct 19 2013, 09:30AM

Steam Alias: Noslo101
Class: Medic
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Here's what I'm trying to do:

- Host media so I can listen to my music at work.

- Possibly use as a proxy if wanted to go on Facebook at work

I'll be setting this up on an old pc I have laying around. I thought I might play around with Linux since then I wouldn't have to buy a new windows version. Also I've heard Linux is better for servers because of computer stuff I don't know.

Longer term I'd want to also host a website on it or something.

Anyway, I was hoping to get more input on this. If anyone knows good resource like a hobbyist forum or blog. Also any general suggestions for getting started.

Thanks!

gonzo.the.great
Sat Oct 19 2013, 11:22AM

Steam Alias: STEAM_0:0:7227352
Class: Demoman
Liked 60 times in 25 posts

Short answer, if work doesn't want you to, they will find you and fire your ass. Get a netbook with a big ass HD and bring it to work and use your smartphone.

On the more fun side, screw proxy, use VPN. I've been using either SME or one of the free router firmwares that has VPN built in, works neato. Then you can stream your music however you want, even just play it straight. SME will also do website hosting with Apache & F&P services.

Noog
Sat Oct 19 2013, 01:04PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

gonzo.the.great wrote ...

Short answer, if work doesn't want you to, they will find you and fire your ass.

No worries on that, I work for a small business and I am the 1-man IT department haha.
I should have clarified it's not actually me going on Facebook at work. In the past my boss has had me use a proxy to let our sales reps get on social media sites to promote stuff.

SME looks promising. I'm worried about the set-up though, the diagram here: http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter2 shows the computer after the modem but before the switch. The computer I'd be using only has 1 ethernet slot though.

I take this as I will need some new server specific hardware with more ethernet ports?

[ Edited Sat Oct 19 2013, 01:07PM ]
gonzo.the.great
Sat Oct 19 2013, 03:28PM

Steam Alias: STEAM_0:0:7227352
Class: Demoman
Liked 60 times in 25 posts

No, it'll work fine off of 1 network connection. I've run this off a stupid little Asus mini machine with an Atom processor, works fine.

Skyhawk
Sat Oct 19 2013, 08:35PM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

So if Facebook is typically blocked, why just not allow it through the firewall for assigned logins? We use Websense for a hosted proxy and lock our users out of most social media. Of course our desktop/server support guy leaves his and mine wide open dependent on our Active Directory accounts. You being the sole IT guy should be able to set yourself up.

[ Edited Sat Oct 19 2013, 08:36PM ]
Noog
Sat Oct 19 2013, 09:23PM

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Skyhawk wrote ...

So if Facebook is typically blocked, why just not allow it through the firewall for assigned logins? We use Websense for a hosted proxy and lock our users out of most social media. Of course our desktop/server support guy leaves his and mine wide open dependent on our Active Directory accounts. You being the sole IT guy should be able to set yourself up.

You're 100% right. Basically we rent our IT services. We have a contract where an IT firm came into the office and set up a server with their equipment.

Point is, my boss didn't feel like dicking with the firewall and told me to just do a quick-fix to get it working. The filter we have sucks, because I just googled proxy and used the first result haha.

Honestly the proxy isn't even important, I just threw that part in there because I've never done this before and I thought it would be neat to play around with. Most of the reason I'm doing this as a side project is just to get experience.

Skyhawk
Mon Oct 21 2013, 10:22AM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

Ah, well there you go. I have dinked with this myself in the past and bought a little VPN router to install behind my cable/DSL/FiOS modem at home. Worked pretty well and was able to see all my computers for awhile until my employer at the time (large bank) disabled the ability to connect to a remote VPN from behind our firewall.

My current employer uses a Cisco VPN client for remote access to our network so I installed it on one of my home computers and leave it up and running so I can connect to my home from work.

Halvus
Mon Oct 21 2013, 06:40PM

Steam Alias: [SBV]Halvus
Class: Pyro
Liked 28 times in 17 posts

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS213j/dp/B00CRB9CK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382398526&sr=8-2&keywords=synology

I cant recommend these enough. It runs linux with a really nice web GUI, comes with great apps for android and iOS to stream your media. Can be a VPN end point trivially. Runs Plex media. Acts as my personal cloud solution and has a cloud app for PC/OSX/Linux. Its also a private setup, no 3rd party logins or any nonsense like that. Its YOUR server.

Its a Linux server in the truest sense of the word. Even the apps are standalone on Android, you can DL them from their repo. I have them on my non-google store Cyanogen tablet.

I have 2 of these NAS servers, mirrored at separate physical locations. LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM

[ Edited Mon Oct 21 2013, 06:42PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0772 sec, 0.0135 of that for queries. DB queries: 60. Memory Usage: 2,595kB