Forums

Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
Author Post
Helix
Mon May 05 2014, 09:40PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] Helix
Class: Soldier
Liked 55 times in 29 posts

Not sure if anyone else has heard of Coin, I pre-ordered mine a few months back. Seems like a neat concept.. and for $50 I thought why not. Should be shipping out soon, I'll update when I get mine.

And shameless plug if you do pre-order one...
https://onlycoin.com/?referral=HVpzC9kr

Skyhawk
Mon May 05 2014, 10:03PM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Class: Medic
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

Pretty cool, I wonder how durable they are. Depending on where they are in your wallet, could get bent under some pressure.

lexicalpedant
Mon May 05 2014, 10:33PM

Steam Alias: lexicalpedant
Class: Demoman
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I saw this a few months back and am very interested, but don't want to invest until I see reviews from people using it. Could be awesome if it works as advertised.

mrnarhwal
Tue May 06 2014, 02:03AM

Steam Alias: Mr. Narwhal
Class: Demoman
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Seems pretty neat. I hate how fat my wallet gets when it's full of cards

thievishmetal
Tue May 06 2014, 04:08AM

Steam Alias: somethin', somethin' Bastard
Class: Heavy
Liked 0 times in 0 posts

One thing I noticed.

When he switched to a business card and then gave it to the waiter, what's stopping the waiter from accidentally(or purposefully) switching it to a different card?

khamir-ubitch
Tue May 06 2014, 09:42AM

Steam Alias: [BonG] Dr. KhAmiR M.D.
Liked 253 times in 114 posts

Wow, I would love one of these.

I need to read a bit more before I pull the trigger though.

khamir-ubitch
Tue May 06 2014, 11:39AM

Steam Alias: [BonG] Dr. KhAmiR M.D.
Liked 253 times in 114 posts

Wow, I would love one of these. But I have read about some stuff that concerns me:

The device's battery only lasts 2 years and is not rechargeable: From website "Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is designed to consume very little power and in addition to that we’ve carefully optimized communication between the Coin and Coin mobile app. Under normal usage, a Coin’s battery should last 2 years."

The current iteration of Coin "locks up" if it's away from your smartphone for more than 10 minutes ... or if your phone's battery has run out.

The user-friendly nature of Coin could make duplicating cards considerably easier. The device will come with a card reader that plugs into a smartphone’s headphone jack. It reads the magnetic stripe and shoots the card over to Coin so you can use it instantly. That’s great when you want to get your own cards set up, but it could also allow someone else to make a clone of your credit card in mere seconds.

Terms of service entry: “You are solely responsible for your own losses or losses incurred by Coin and others due to any unauthorized use of your account.”

I'll wait a bit til they hammer out these details. WHen and if they do, I'm TOTALLY on-board!

Dickbut
Tue May 06 2014, 02:56PM

Steam Alias: Galot
Class: Spy
Liked 117 times in 47 posts

thats just what "obummer" wants u 2 do

next he'll be wanting 2 put computer chips in ur're brain...

u herd it hear frist

Skyhawk
Tue May 06 2014, 04:27PM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

khamir-ubitch wrote ...

it could also allow someone else to make a clone of your credit card in mere seconds.

Yup, I have seen plenty of servers AND managers back in my restaurant days that would scam credit card numbers from patrons. A server could have their own COIN and swipe dozens of cards a day.

Helix
Wed May 07 2014, 11:20AM

Steam Alias: [BONG] Helix
Class: Soldier
Liked 55 times in 29 posts

khamir-ubitch wrote ...

The device's battery only lasts 2 years and is not rechargeable

The fact it only lasts 2 years is perfectly fine, I figure it's the cost of paying for convenience. The annual fee for my credit cards is more than the cost of a coin.

khamir-ubitch wrote ...

The current iteration of Coin "locks up" if it's away from your smartphone for more than 10 minutes ... or if your phone's battery has run out.

I like that Coin locks up if its away from the smartphone.. while definitely not ideal if your phone is dead or you're at a waterpark I like that the card becomes disabled unlike a traditional card you could leave behind.

khamir-ubitch wrote ...

The user-friendly nature of Coin could make duplicating cards considerably easier.

This one definitely sucks and is very valid. I'm sure they have security built into the scanning app, but hackers will definitely crack it/figure it out. There is one thing that will save it.. and that is the shift to EMV standards by 2015. It hasn't gotten a lot of consumer attention yet, but merchants and CC companies have been drowning in it.. it will basically overhaul security in credit card transactions which has been GREATLY needed for years now.

EMV chip card transactions improve security against fraud compared to magnetic stripe card transactions that rely on the holder's signature and visual inspection of the card to check for features such as hologram. The use of a PIN and cryptographic algorithms such as DES, Triple-DES, RSA and SHA provide authentication of the card to the processing terminal and the card issuer's host system. The processing time is comparable to online transactions, in which communications delay accounts for the majority of the time, while cryptographic operations take comparatively little time. The supposed increased protection from fraud has allowed banks and credit card issuers to push through a 'liability shift' such that merchants are now liable (as from 1 January 2005 in the EU region) for any fraud that results from transactions on systems that are not EMV capable.

But like anything, an early adopter of any new technology will always face bugs and issues By the way, thanks to whoever already pre-ordered one through my referral

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0869 sec, 0.0164 of that for queries. DB queries: 71. Memory Usage: 2,705kB