Forums

The Gravity Bong :: Forums :: Community :: The Lounge
A New Low << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 [2]
Moderators: Helix, silent, DrakeMegrim, Skyhawk, khamir-ubitch, Dickbut, holyass, GravyTrain, Blast_Tyrant, SoraPiroB, cosmic_marbles, Wolfwarrior27
This thread is now closed
Author Post
Skyhawk
Wed Apr 29 2015, 12:29PM

Steam Alias: Skyhawk
Class: Medic
Liked 113 times in 63 posts

frostmute wrote ...

Its hard for me to have sympathy for anyone who gives up.

I agree, give up isn't my nature. There are just some really broken people out there that don't qualify for "man the fuck up". Also, I don't want Sudo to think I'm a blubbering pussy.

sudo kill -9
Wed Apr 29 2015, 01:19PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] sudo kill -9
Class: Sniper
Liked 13 times in 4 posts

Skyhawk wrote ...

frostmute wrote ...

Its hard for me to have sympathy for anyone who gives up.

I agree, give up isn't my nature. There are just some really broken people out there that don't qualify for "man the fuck up". Also, I don't want Sudo to think I'm a blubbering pussy.

Babe I'd never think that. And if you were, you'd be the pussy I'd wanna fuck!

Vali
Wed Apr 29 2015, 02:22PM

Steam Alias: Vali
Liked 1 times in 1 posts

frostmute wrote ...

Someone needs to say this.

Lots of people kill themselves everyday. Lots of people have hard times and mental health issues. Most of us man up and deal with it because there are people on this planet that count on us. Guy took the easy way out and left his family behind to pick up the pieces. Get over it.

Fetus is the new Klaire.

I love you Frosty and you know that, but telling someone to "man up" and deal with mental health problems on their own is just plain stupid. That kind of attitude is why our country has such shitty mental health.

There's a reason psychology and psychiatry exist and a reason people devote their lives to learning how to treat mental illness.

I struggled a lot with suicide in the past. I'm a little embarrassed to say that, but it's true. And one thing that hurt the most was that my family, instead of being there for me or showing any kind of love or compassion, just repeatedly told me to "man up".

If you have something wrong with any of your other organs you go to the damn doctor, well your brain is the most important one, you should probably do the same for it.

You can't do everything on your own. Everyone needs help at some point.

I didn't even like Fetus. At all. I don't even think he was really a particularly good person. But I don't believe for a second he deserved what happened to him, or that it's his fault.

If there were a little more compassion and empathy in the world we'd all be a lot better off.

PS: Klaire fake-killed herself for attention, and is just a shameless attention whore. I don't really see how that's comparable to someone being in a bad enough mental state to actually kill themselves.

[ Edited Wed Apr 29 2015, 02:23PM ]
Halvus
Wed Apr 29 2015, 02:45PM

Steam Alias: [SBV]Halvus
Class: Pyro
Liked 28 times in 17 posts

frostmute wrote ...

gonzo.the.great wrote ...

Skyhawk wrote ...

frostmute wrote ...

Someone needs to say this.

Lots of people kill themselves everyday. Lots of people have hard times and mental health issues. Most of us man up and deal with it because there are people on this planet that count on us. Guy took the easy way out and left his family behind to pick up the pieces. Get over it.

Fetus is the new Klaire.

I partially agree with this but I also don't understand the concept of clinical depression and complete hopelessness. Fetus was an odd duck so when he would be in game and drunk as shit talking about how life kicked him in the balls, he usually tried to project a "fuck it" attitude and laugh. The guy had friends, family, a kid, and was all gung-ho on his offroading YouTube channel. He always seemed to me to be the kind of guy to "man up" eventually.

He and I chatted a bit so for him to off himself like that, I choose to believe his depression was something beyond his control. I know we have members with diagnosed depression and would hope they would all be treated with some respect were they in Fetus's situation.

I would have to respectfully and fully disagree with frostmute. I think Skyhawk is entirely correct with his comment on understanding. The major issue with judgement of mental issues of any kind is a lack of understanding. I don't profess to be an expert. I do understand, however, that clinical depression is a disease. We as a society hate trying to define mental health issues, as you can't point to a problem and say, "See, he broke his leg, so he has problems walking."

The supididly high increase in heroin ODs are not caused by people that want to die. They physically cannot say no. They are addicted. There is "no manning" up for many. Most people need medical help to kick it.

Mental health issues can have the same difficulties, with the adding one that it's all in your head. Take a quick read of Stephen Fry's talk about his recent suicide attempt. For the TL;DR, you can't rationalize the actions (easy way out, so much to live for) for the very simple reason that they are not rational.

I am ALL TO FAMILIAR with depression and suicidal thoughts as they are something I have dealt with my entire life. I know all about the shitty state of mental health treatment as I have directly been involved with it. I have two family members who have committed suicide as well. But you know what? You move the fuck on and keep working at improving yourself and the lives of those around you, regardless. I work fucking hard to stay on this earth and provide for my family despite all my personal flaws and mental health issues. If that makes me an asshole, then so be it.... Its hard for me to have sympathy for anyone who gives up.

I mean this in the most sincere way possible. This is denial. I felt this way for so long, and it was pure denial for me. Every suicide like this is an absolute tragedy. You dont have to spend any of yourself to feel the echo of the pain he must have felt, enough to take his own life.

How I finally came to an uneasy truce with my depression is that i visualize and do literal battle with it in my head EVERY SINGLE MORNING. I stake it to the ground at tell it that it has NO POWER without me. It exists only by my will alone. If I die, it dies with me.

I have never spoken of my depression like this to anyone other than my wife. Im not going to hide it anymore. If you have true suicidal thoughts TALK TO SOMEONE NOW. Have someone hug you for 20 seconds or longer and truly accept it. Dont let the bastard win.

AntiHick
Wed Apr 29 2015, 03:30PM

Steam Alias: TheAntiHick
Class: Soldier
Liked 3 times in 1 posts

Who would have thought that this snotty, morally superior, disrespectful post inspired by my shenanigans would turn into a meaningful conversation.

opioid
Wed Apr 29 2015, 04:19PM

Steam Alias: STEAM_0:1:18215233
Liked 10 times in 7 posts

Yeah mental illness sucks, and yeah people should get help, but why should anyone care what some person they don't know in real life says over a game. If you don't like what someone has to say, mute them. This is America.

ProfessorJerk
Wed Apr 29 2015, 04:38PM

Steam Alias: Same as here (usually)
Class: Pyro
Liked 21 times in 5 posts

Frost the whole "this is how it impacted me so everyone else's experience by definition must be the same" approach to depression is a really, really bad look. There are way too many things to factor into it, from the severity of the depression itself, to other metal illnesses that could contribute to/ worsen suicidal tendencies, to not getting proper treatment, to what's going on in the person's life.

Just because one guy manages to survive cancer doesn't mean that another dude will make it through the same type of cancer, even if the treatment is equal.

[ Edited Wed Apr 29 2015, 04:38PM ]
Helix
Wed Apr 29 2015, 05:22PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] Helix
Liked 55 times in 29 posts

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the progression of this thread. People are entitled to their own opinions and this is the internet. As a general community stance, The Gravity Bong stood behind fetus' passing and helped however we could, even reaching out to his family to see if we could help further.

We are a dysfunctional family here and not everyone is always going to agree. These are fundamental personal beliefs based on morals, outlook, childhood, and whatever really happened to you in life along the way. I think Sudo said it best, at the end of the day this community is meant to be more laid back where things aren't taken too seriously or too personal. There are far better places on the internet for that than a gaming community named The Gravity Bong.

Helix
Wed Apr 29 2015, 09:02PM

Steam Alias: [BONG] Helix
Liked 55 times in 29 posts

Moderated this thread as I thought there was some thoughtful discussion around depression that should be kept public.

Go to page  1 [2]  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
The Gravity Bong Community Forums
Render time: 0.0993 sec, 0.0190 of that for queries. DB queries: 68. Memory Usage: 2,680kB